In this article, I’ll introduce you to 10 best professional wireless microphones for singing in live concerts. If you are a live sound engineer and wanna buy a new set of wireless mic then you must read this article before spending your hard money.
So, live singing is quite different from singing in a studio. The main factor, “environment” plays a huge role in differentiating between them.
Where in the studios you have a controlled environment and there are no disturbances between mic and the source(singer), in live concerts we can’t control it.
There are disturbances such as mic feedback, the crowd’s sound comes between the microphone and the singer.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we recommended. Read more about Affiliate disclosure here.
So, we can’t use the condenser mics in live concerts. Here, dynamic mics are used, which are insensible to backward noise while catch singers sound well.
But why go for wireless microphones instead of simply wired microphones in live concerts?
There is a simple reason behind it…
Wireless microphones are independent of movement, so we can use them without worrying about trapped in wires. They are extremely flexible when it comes to movement.
But, we can not just buy any cheap wireless microphone for live concerts. There are some important things you should look for when choosing professional wireless microphones.
Here, in this article, you’ll read about the best 10 wireless microphones to choose from as well as things you should look for when choosing professional wireless mics for live sound.
Well, enough intro…Let’s start it now…
What to Look in A Professional Wireless Microphone System
First, of all let us discuss some important things that you should consider before choosing a professional wireless microphone system.
The most important thing that influences your choice when you going to buy anything is your budget.
Are your pocket allows you to go for a costly product or you wanna buy an average priced product?
All of your choices stops at your budget. If you have a good budget as well as know the features you want then it’s a good combination to own a great product.
The cost of a professional wireless microphone varies as per company, brand, features, and quality.
So, before taking any decision you should first make your budget that how much you afford to invest in it.
Number of Microphones Can be Used Simultaneously
The second thing you must see in a professional wireless microphone system is how many microphones you can use simultaneously.
When we talk about professional wireless microphone systems it’s not just a single mic but a set of 2, 4, or 8 microphones.
A wireless microphone system is made of 3 parts.
The capacity of a wireless microphone system depends upon how many mics it can handle simultaneously without signal loss.
Generally, a mid-range wireless mic system can handle 4 mics at the same time without losing the signal.
So, before buying any wireless mic system, you should see the very first feature ie; how many microphones we can operate at the same time without signal loss.
Another Feature you should see in a wireless microphone system is its frequency type. Wireless miking systems operate on tow main frequencies UHF (ultra-high frequency) a VHF (Very High Frequency).
VHF or very high frequency is old technology and does not provide the quality we match for today. Radio channels also operate in this frequency range so they play the main role for disturbance in VHF microphone systems.
On the other hand, UHF is a new technology which is a way higher frequency range than UHF. So the disturbances due to other transmission networks are negligible. As a result, we get much better voice quality in UHF.
However, UHF systems are costly, I suggest you go with UHF mic systems only.
The Number of Antennas And Pickup Range
In a wireless microphone system antenna decides the operating distance of mic from the receiver.
So, more antenna means more distance.
As we know, in live concerts, the distance between the sound control system and the stage can be 100s of feet. Hence we need a powerful wireless mic system that could catch the signal from long distance.
More then one antenna helps in this. If your wireless mic receiver has more then one antenna then the chance of signal loss is decreased.
We can divide wireless microphone systems into 3 categories.
- Handheld wireless microphones
- Headset Bodypack Transmitter Microphones
- Lavalier Bodypack Transmitter Microphones
First of all, let us read about…
Best Professional Handheld Wireless Microphones
Handheld microphone systems are generally used for vocals in music concerts. As from the name we have to hold the mic with our hand to perform. A dynamic cardioid microphone is used as a handheld mic and the transmitter is fitted below the mic to convert the sound into electric signal and transmission.
Here are my recommendations for handheld wireless microphone systems.
1. Sennheiser EW 500-965 G4
Sennheiser is a well-known name in the field of music production and lives music. It has a wide range of professional audio equipment. Sennheiser EW 500-965 G3 is one of its great product.
This wireless mic system works in 42 MHZ bandwidth with 1680 tunable UHF provides interference-free reception.
It’s the choice of the world’s best live sound engineers and live performers.
Let me show you it’s great features that convince me to put is at the first in this list.
- It is a true diversity half-rack receiver which comes with full-metal housing and an intuitive OLED display.
- Easy and flexible infrared wireless synchronization between transmitter and receiver.
- You’ll get up to 32 compatible channels
- Supports up to 88 MHz bandwidth with 3520 selectable frequencies which are fully tunable in a stable UHF range.
- It comes with an ethernet connection for Wireless Systems Manager (WSM) control software that is used to control advanced frequency coordination in multi-channel setups.
- High RF output power
- Includes 1 SKM 500 G4 handheld, 1 e 965 capsules (selectable cardioid/super-cardioid, condenser), 1 EM 300-500 G4 rackmount receiver, 1 GA3 rack kit, and 1 mic clip.
2. Audio-Technica ATW-1102
The second wireless microphone system in our list is Audio-Technica ATW-1102. Just like Sennheiser, Audio Technica is one of the most famous brands in the pro audio industry.
However, they are masters in the manufacturing of professional headphones other products offered by them are also good.
Audio Technica ATW-1102 is a digital 24-bit/48kHz wireless microphone system that provides exceptional sound quality.
Here are some other features you should see.
- As I’ve said above its a digital 24-bit/48 kHz wireless mic system that provides ultimate sound quality and dependable performance.
- Operates between 2.4 GHz range which gives us completely free from TV/ 3G interference.
- It’s equipped with automatic frequency selection for seamless, interference-free operation.
- No need for initial settings it’s a Plug & Play device that provides ease of use and reliability.
- Balanced XLR and unbalanced 1/4” output jacks with level control.
3. Shure BLX288/PG58 Wireless Vocal Combo
When it comes to dynamic microphones, nobody can beat Shure. The SM58 microphone from Shure is considered the best dynamic microphone for vocals. SM58 and SM57 microphones make this brand such a popular brand in the pro audio industry.
But today we’ll discuss its state of the art wireless microphones system ie; Shure BLX288/PG58 Wireless Vocal Combo.
It’s a mid-range wireless vocal microphone system that comes with BLX88 dual wireless receiver, 2 BLX2/PG58 handheld transmitters with integrated PG58 cardioid dynamic microphone capsules, and 2 microphone clips.
Here are the features of this wireless microphone set.
- It is equipped with power and battery status LED indicators.
- Adjustable gain control is provided to control the mic gain individually.
- Quick & easy automatic frequency matching
- It is powered with 2 AA-size batteries that provide up to 14 hours of continuous use.
- Its range is amazing. With 300 feet (91 m) operating range (line of sight), you can operate this system from behind the audience.
4. Shure BLX24R/SM58
As I’ve discussed above, SM58 mic from Shure is a world-class microphone that is now available in a wireless format. Shure BLX24R/SM58 is a great choice for solo vocals.
You’ll get 1 BLX4R 1/2 Rack, Single Channel Wireless Receiver, 1 Rack Mount Kit, 1 BLX2/SM58 Handheld Transmitter with SM58 Microphone,1 Mic Clip, 1 1/4 Wave Antennas, 1 Zippered Transmitter Bag,1 PS23US Power Supply, and 1 AA Batteries.
Here are some more features of this wireless miking system.
- This system can handle up to 12 compatible systems per frequency band.
- The internal antenna diversity is microprocessor-controlled.
- One-touch QuickScan frequency selection allows us to quickly locates the best possible frequency.
- 1/4″ and XLR audio outputs.
5. PylePro PDWM3375
This is a dual-channel UHF wireless microphone system. As it operates in the UHF frequency range, frequencies from radio stations and mobile towers do not interfere.
You can use this system in various operations such as personal, commercial, industrial, and even military applications.
PLL-Synthesized control technique – 8 selectable UHF channels make the frequency stable. Operation range (164 ft.) is, however, lower than the above listed wireless mic systems.
Let us know the features of this professional wireless microphone system.
- It works on UHF Band Microphone System
- Setup is very simple & Hassle-Free Operation
- Operation Range is Up to 160ft.
- Audio channel and power indicator LED Screen
- Equipped with an audio level indicator for wireless signal
- Adjustable channel volume controls are given for independent control
- Selectable Frequency Range: Up to (8) Channels
- 1/4″ Audio Output Jack
- XLR Balanced Output Jack
6.Proreck MX44 4-Channel UHF Wireless Microphone System
If you want a wireless mic system that allows operating more then 2 mics simultaneously then you can go for Proreck MX44 4-Channel UHF Wireless Microphone System.
It’s not great for live concerts but you can use it for Party, Wedding, Church, Conference, Speech, etc.
Here are the features you’ll get in this professional wireless microphone system.
- It is great for all kinds of indoor-outdoor activity, such as party, church, speech, weeding, family get-together, etc
- UHF technology provides a more clear sound.
- Operating range: 200 feet within line of sight
- 8 types of EQ modes available in this system.
- Four unidirectional cardioid microphones included
- 1 x Receiver, 4 x microphones, 1 6.35mm TS cable, 1 power charger included
Best Professional Headset Bodypack Transmitter Microphones
The second type of professional wireless microphone which is quite popular among stage performers and live sound engineers is a headset pack.
It’s invented for giving speeches but nowadays it’s very popular among performers who don’t want to hold mic by hand.
In this section, I will show you the 2 most popular headset bodypack transmitter microphones.
7. Shure BLX14/SM31 Bodypack Wireless Mic System
The first one is the Shure BLX14/SM31 bodypack wireless microphone system. It comes with an SM31FH cardioid condenser microphone with analog transmission.
This bodypack mic system is specially designed for use in fitness instruction equipped with moisture-repelling construction for true performance in humid applications.
Let us see its features.
- The package includes 1 BLX4 wireless receiver, 1 BLX1 bodypack transmitter, 1 SM31 fitness headset microphone, power supply unit, clothing clip, windscreens for avoiding wind disruptions.
- Power and battery status LED is provided to ensure the battery status.
- Adjustable gain control is provided to control gain during operation.
- Quick & easy one-touch frequency matching
- 300 feet (91 m) operating range (line of sight)
- Powered with AA batteries so no need for electric.
- Offers a 24 MHz tuning bandwidth and up to 12 compatible systems per frequency band.
8. Samson Concert 88 Earset 16-Channel Bodypack
Wireless Mic System
Another headset bodypack wireless mic system in our list is Samson Concert 88 Earset 16-Channel. We can connect 16 mics simultaneously with this system.
It offers a high-performance UHF wireless solution that means you get the freedom of mobility. It’s perfect for singers, dancers, DJs, business professionals, etc.
It allows us to operate up to 16 systems simultaneously with up to 300 separating the receiver and transmitter.
Samson Concert 88 Earset transmitter can operate for up to 8 hours on two AA batteries.
Let us see some more features of this headset wireless microphone.
- It is a professional UHF wireless system
- Rackmount kit included with the package
- Low dropouts
- We can operate up to 16 systems simultaneously (region dependent)
- Tone key and auto mute functions are provided to eliminate background noise during dropouts
- Balanced XLR and 1/4″ outputs are provided
- You will get HS5 Headset Microphone with locking connector
- Runs up to eight hours of battery life with two AA batteries
- 300 feets operating range
Best Professional Lavalier Bodypack Transmitter Microphones
The last type of wireless microphone system is the Lavalier Bodypack transmitter mic system. In this type of system, a tiny mic is provided which can be set on your shirt’s collar.
It’s the best type of mic for speeches and official seminars.
Let me introduce you 2 of the best Lavalier bodypack transmitter microphone systems.
9. Movo WMIC80 UHF Wireless Lavalier Microphone System
Movo WMIC80 UHF Wireless Lavalier mic system is a quite popular wireless mic system among live sound engineers.
This UHF wireless lavalier microphone system operates over UHF frequencies between 584 MHz-607.4 MHz.
It can operate and connect at over 330 feet distance while provides HQ satisfactory audio for all your needs.
Omnidirectional lavalier microphones are included that provide uniform frequency response and limits unwanted noise pickup.
Here are the features you should read before buying this Lavalier mic system.
- Package includes 1 Lavalier Mic with Portable Body Pack Transmitter, 1 Wireless Receiver, 1 Camera Shoe Mount, 1 Stereo 3.5mm Output Cable, 1 XLR Output Cable
- Operates between UHF Frequency Range 568 MHz to 599MHz and 2 Groups of 48 Selectable Channels (96 Unique Frequency Selections)
- It can be operated at over 330 feet distance.
10. Pyle Pro PDWM2145 Wireless Lavalier Microphone System
The second in the Lavalier mic system and our last one in this article is Pyle Pro PDWM2145 Wireless Lavalier Microphone System.
The Pyle Pro PDWM2145 is known as one of the best Lavalier mic systems which deliver clear, noise-free wireless transmission and excellent sound reproduction.
The setup and installation are very simple which allows you to transmit clear sound instantly.
This wireless system includes two body-pack transmitters with two headset & two lavalier microphones.
Here are the features of the Pyle Pro PDWM2145 Wireless Lavalier Microphone System.
- The dual-frequency channel and broad audio response range with low distortion allow you to enjoy every type of performance.
- It operates between the frequency range of 174~216MHz and high signal/noise ratio performance for capturing high-quality audio.
- Features independent mic volume control.
At the End
Above you’ve read about 10 best professional wireless microphones. Now its time to choose one of them. Let me know in the comments which one you’ve chosen for you. Your comment can help many others like you to get great gear for live sound.
Also do let me know about your opinions regarding this article. I will answer your question.
Gautam Roy is a recording engineer and a blogger from India. He loves music, writing and travelling. He is also an active investor and a successful entrepreneur.