I remember those days when 5-pin MIDI cables were used in studios to connect different MIDI devices. Yes, they are still useful today but now the technology has changed.
In those MIDI cables signal loss was the main disadvantage. Also, you need an interface to connect a MIDI device to the computer and record your compositions.
But, now we have USB MIDI cables that directly connect from your MIDI device to the computer or laptop.
USB MIDI cables are easy to use and compact that you can carry anywhere without worrying about the external MIDI interface.
In this blog post, I will be comparing the top 10 USB MIDI cables for you. All those USB MIDI cables are available online so you can easily buy them.
But first, let us know,
Table of Contents
- 1 What is USB MIDI Cable
- 2 1. HOSONGIN MIDI to USB Interface MIDI Cable
- 3 2. LEKATO MIDI Cable USB
- 4 3. Fasgear USB C MIDI Cable with Type C to USB Adapter
- 5 4. TNP MIDI Cable Set to USB with Type C Adapter
- 6 5. URWOOW MIDI USB Adapter Converter Cable
- 7 6. Neewer USB Type C MIDI Cable with Input & Output
- 8 7. DigitalLife BM1003 USB Type-A to MIDI Interface
- 9 8. iConnectivity mio 1-in 1-out USB to MIDI Interface
- 10 Conclusion
What is USB MIDI Cable
MIDI cable is also called 5-Pin DIN cable which has 5 pins on both sides. MIDI or Music Musical Instrument Digital Interface is a data transfer protocol used to transfer Music notation from the MIDI-enabled instrument to the computer or other MIDI device.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we recommended. Read more about Affiliate disclosure here.
Now come to USB MID cables.
USB MIDI cables have the same function as 5-Pin DIN cables, however, they don’t need an external MIDI interface to connect to the computer.
These cables have an in-built MIDI converter that directly connects to the computer and translates the MIDI signals in the DAW. Most of the USB MIDI cables are plug-and-play and don’t need additional drivers to run on the computer.
There are mainly 2 types of USB MIDI cables.
- USB to USB MIDI cable
- USB to 5-Pin MIDI cable
Now that you know both types of MIDI cables, let’s find out the best USB MIDI cables on the internet.
1. HOSONGIN MIDI to USB Interface MIDI Cable
HOSONGIN MIDI to USB Cable is a 6-feet long cable. On one side it has USB connector and on the other side, you will get two 5-PIN DIN connectors that you can connect with your instrument’s MIDI in and out.
So, this is a two-way USB MIDI Cable that is able to transfer MIDI signals from both sides.
It is a plug-and-play MIDI cable that doesn’t need any external driver installation.
You don’t need any external AC adapter as it is USB bus powered. The main advantage of this USB MID cable is its high-performance FPT processing chip provides accurate recording for each note without delay in signals.
Let’s find out its features.
- It’s an easy-to-use USB MIDI device.
- 6 Feet long cable length makes it great for stage performances.
- Two-way MIDI signal transfer
- High fidelity, no-delay signal transfer
- No need for an external power adapter
- The sockets are built with high-quality aluminum alloy shell
2. LEKATO MIDI Cable USB
LEKATO USB MIDI Cable supports up to 16 input & output channels simultaneously. Its hardware and driver is built for ultra-low latency MIDI Input and Output.
This MIDI cable is made of soft bare copper material which produces strong electrical conductivity and hence the data transfer rate is high.
The cable is equipped with resistance to electromagnetic interference which ensures data transfer without loss.
The built-in driver is universal to all operating systems so you can use it with Win 7, Win 8, Win 10 Mac OS, etc without installing an external driver package.
LED indicators are given to monitor midi connections.
Here are its features in short.
- 1 in + 1 out Indicators that simplify troubleshooting MIDI data transfer
- Supports up to 16 input & output channels
- Made of soft bare copper material that provides strong electrical conductivity
- Resistance to electromagnetic interference
- Plug and Play MIDI driver that supports all major operating systems
3. Fasgear USB C MIDI Cable with Type C to USB Adapter
Fasgear USB C MIDI Cable is a Type-C cable that you can use with any type-C port. However, you will also get a Type-C to USB 2.0 USB adapter which you can use on your Windows computer where generally USB 2.0 and USB 3.1 pots are given.
It is a two-way MIDI cable so you can use it for both input and output simultaneously.
This MIDI cable is compatible with most TYPE-C devices & OS systems such as Win 10/8/7, macOS 10.12+, and other latest Mac versions.
Even, you can use this MIDI cable on an Android Device (With OTG support). Fastgear USB C MIDI cable is 6ft long which is quite enough for recording studios and even live performances.
- USB C Connection
- Compatible with all devices including Android, Mac, and Windows.
- Plug and Play device driver support.
- 6 Ft long
- USB-C to USB 2.0 adapter is given for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports.
- 18 months warranty
4. TNP MIDI Cable Set to USB with Type C Adapter
TNP MIDI Cable is another MIDI cable that supports both USB 2.0 and USB Type C ports. However, it’s just the opposite of the Fastgear MIDI cable as you will get USB 2.0 connector along with a USB type-C adapter.
The built-in high-performance processing chip transfers data without any latency which ensures playing music without interruption.
The intelligent LED indicators given in this cable show the signal input and output status. The driver is plug-and-play so you can use it with any Windows and Mac computer without any external driver installation.
As you will get a USB 2.0 to USB C adapter you can use this MIDI cable also on Android devices that support OTG function.
- USB 2.0 connector with USB-C adapter
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, and Android devices.
- Low latency transmission
- No driver installation required
- The high-performance processing chip ensures data transmission without loss.
- LED indicators are given to show you the status of the input and output connection.
5. URWOOW MIDI USB Adapter Converter Cable
URWOOW MIDI USB Cable is a simple USB A-Type MIDI cable that you can use with any device that has USB A type port.
It has a universal driver installed so you don’t need to install a separate driver in your computer to connect this MIDI cable.
It is a two-way MIDI cable that transfers signals from IN and OUT ports simultaneously. You have to make sure to connect both IN and OUT ports on your MIDI device to work both signals.
LED lights are given to identify if the Cable is working or not. The company claims that this MIDI cable does not produce any latency in signals.
- It is a USB A-type MIDI cable so you can use it with devices that have USB A-type ports.
- LED lights are given to identify if the connection is working or not.
- Two-way MIDI cable
- The company claims ultra-low latency in between in and out signals.
6. Neewer USB Type C MIDI Cable with Input & Output
Neewer USB MIDI cable is basically a USB type C cable that can be converted to USB type A cable with the given adapter.
As it is both USB type A and Type C connectors, you can use it with any device that has any of these ports, including Android and iOS devices.
This cable is 2.4″/184cm long which is sufficient for studio recording.
There are 3 lights given for different works: the blue light indicates a normal connection the green light indicates data input, and the red light means data output.
It is a plug-and-play MIDI cable that is supported by MIDI driver provided on your device by the OS. So you don’t need to install a separate driver.
- 2.4″/184cm long cable which is enough for studio-based recordings.
- Both USB C and USB A compatible
- Supports Windows XP Vista 7 8 10 Mac OS X Android 6.0+ iOS and most musical instruments.
- Ultra-low latency and claimed by the company.
- 3 LED lights are given to identify the connection.
7. DigitalLife BM1003 USB Type-A to MIDI Interface
DigitalLife BM1003 USB MID cable is very durable as it’s built with long-lasting materials. It is a two-way MIDI cable that can be used with most of the musical instruments and DAWS.
It is a 2-meter-long cable which is sufficient for studio recordings as well as live performances.
However, it is a USB type A cable and there is no type C adapter that comes with it, you can purchase a separate type C adapter and use it with type C compatible devices such as Mac, iOS and Android.
There is no separate driver required to run this USB MIDI Cable on your device as it detects the preinstalled device MIDI driver and works perfectly with that.
- Two way USB MIDI cable which ensures signal transfer for both IN and OUT.
- Traditional MIDI 5-PIN Interface makes it compatible with any MIDI musical instrument.
- No external driver is needed. Plug and Play device
- Widely compatible with most devices including Windows, MacOS and Android.
- 2 meters long cable length.
- 3-year warranty.
8. iConnectivity mio 1-in 1-out USB to MIDI Interface
Last but not least iConnectivity Mio is really a cool USB MIDI interface cable that works like a charm with MIDI devices.
This cable works with most operating systems such as Windows XP SP3 to Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.4 or greater etc.
It is a 5-foot-long cable enough for studio recordings and you can also use it in your live performances if you work with VST instruments.
With plug-and-play support, this MIDI cable does not need any external driver. You have to just connect the cable with your devices and it starts working immediately.
- Durable and long-lasting
- 5 feet long enough for any work
- Plug and play with most of the operating systems
- Compatible with all versions of Windows and MacOS
- Ultra-low latency between IN and OUT signals
That’s my 8 choices in the USB MIDI cables in that you can choose one according to your budget and use.
All the USB MIDI cables are built for low latency performance so you will not get any distractions during your performance.
If you ask me for my choice, I would prefer the 8th number, iConnectivity Mio which is a durable and long-lasting USB MIDI interface.