Fabfilter Timeless is one of the most popular delay VST plugins in the audio recording world. It’s a vintage-style tape delay plugin used by pros around the world.
Its unique vintage filters and creative effects make it an excellent delay plugin for home studios.
On the high demand of Recording Base followers, today I will review the latest version of this plugin, i.e., Fabfilter Timeless 3.
This Fabfilter timeless 3 review is based on my own experience, so I think it will give you better insights into this plugin.
Well, without wasting any more time, let’s start the review.
FabFilter Timeless 3 Trial Download and System Requirments
Plugin type: Vintage-style tape delay plugin
System requirements :
- 64-bit: Windows 10, 8, 7, or Vista
- 32-bit: Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, or XP
- VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools
- macOS 10.10 or higher (64-bit only)
- AU or VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools
- Intel or Apple Silicon processor
Plugin formats: VST, VST3, Audio Units, AAX Native, and AudioSuite formats.
30 Days Trial Available: Download Trial Now
A Brief Intro
In recent years, Fabfilter became one of the best audio plugin brands in the world. Most of us use their plugins in our studios.
Timeless is another excellent plugin by Fabfilter. If you are searching for a vintage delay, then it perfectly fits your need. With its unique effects, filters, tap patterns, and unlimited modulation options, it will definitely please you.
The latest version Timeless 3 has 2 independent, programmable delay lines and high-quality effects and filters.
The super-flexible modulation system will make it easy to create any type of delay effect in no time.
Vintage Filters and Creative Effects
There are 5 unique effects, and up to six analogue-sounding filters routed through stereo delay signal and then routed back to the primary input with adjustable feedback control.
Easy to Configure Drag-and-Drop Modulation
With Timeless 3 you can easily set up wow and flutter, ducking, dynamic diffusion, or other creative effects. All you can do by just drag and drop.
Fabfilter Common Features
You will also get perfectly tuned knobs, MIDI Learn, a help section with helpful hints, CPU optimization, etc.
Fabfilter Timeless 3: All Features
Let us see Fabfilter Timeless 3 key features
- The user interface is highly simplified, with a more manageable workflow
- 6 types of filters, creative LP/HP/BP filters, or Bell/Shelving/Notch EQ filters. Just like in FabFilter Pro-Q or Pro-R, these filters can be created and deleted in the display,
- 16 individually controlled and modulated delay taps.
- Ping-pong mode is provided
- 5 added effects: drive effect, Lo-Fi effect, diffusion effect, dynamics effect, pitch shift effect
- Interactive delay display that lets you edit delay time and taps.
- Filter display and including a spectrum analyzer.
- 6 dB filter slope option.
- Stereo Width control.
- Live modulation visualization
- Envelope generators with curve slope setting
- Added Transient mode for envelope followers
- 6 Slider modes and a range setting for XY controllers.
- XLFO MIDI triggering with Legato mode.
- EG Threshold parameters
- Various interface sizes and Full-Screen mode
- Analog tape delay with smooth time-stretching behavior
- Unique per-component presets
- GPU-powered graphics acceleration.
- Mid/side processing
- Extensive help file with interactive help hints
- Easy drag-and-drop modulation with a 50-slot modulation matrix.
- Interactive MIDI Learn.
- Smart Parameter Interpolation.
- Undo, redo, and A/B switch features.
- Available in VST, VST3, AU (Audio Units), AAX Native, and AudioSuite formats.
What’s New in The Version 3
Fabfilter has added some new features in the latest version of the Timeless delay plugin. Let me show you these features then I will discuss some key features in detail.
- In the new version of Fabfilter Timeless 3 you will get optional Drive, Lo-Fi, Diffuse, Dynamics, and Pitch effects that will help you creatively color the feedbacked delay sound
- You will also get 6 filters, with original, vintage LP/HP/BP filters or modern Bell/Shelving/Notch EQ filters
- In the new version, you can now create rhythmic patterns using up to 16 delay taps. All the delays taps can be controlled and modulated individually
- The curve control in EGs with transient detection in EFs is also given
- Version 3 supports joint Pro Tools hardware control surfaces
- You will get ping-pong modes and live modulation visualization
Fabfilter Timeless 3 in Detail
This section will look after the Timeless 3 with some of the main features, like looks, effects and delay display section, delay, and filters section, modulation controls section quality, and value for money.
After that, you will get some better insights about this plugin, and it would be easy for you to decide whether you should own it.
The greenish and black background with green and blue graphs and controls gives this plugin a professional look.
Just like other Fabfilter plugins, at the top bar, you will get undo/redo and A/B controls, help menu, preset loader, and fullscreen button along with the Fabfilter name and logo on the left side.
You will see the effects and delay display section and delay and Filters section below the top bar. The effects and delay display section is used to adjust the delay effect. The delay and Filters section is used to filter the frequencies, delay amount, etc.
Below them, you will get the main control bar with 5 effect filter controls, feedback crossover control, wet and dry delay signal control with frequency adjustment controls, and the master delay effect control.
Below the main control panel, you will find the Modulation Control panel used to control the modulation.
Effects and Delay Display Section
Filter and effect is a new addition to the latest version of Fabfilter Timeless 3. Here you will find 5 effect controls: Drive saturation, Lo-Fi distortion, Diffuse control to blur the delay signal so that you could get a reverb-like effect, Dynamics with gate and compressor effects, and a Pitch shifter to transpose the delay signal.
Above the effect controls, you will get the taps display, giving you the visual reference of the dry and wet delay effect. It will show you how the dry signal is going inside the plugin and how it decays as in the delay taps.
Taps display also provides you the visual reference of the stereo field. You can drag in and out on display to change the reverb tail length and feedback amount.
The Taps button will provide you 15 more delay taps to the wet signal that is easily configurable to delay time and panning.
Delay and Filters Section
The filter and delay section has 3 knobs, i.e., Delay, Feedback, and Dry/Wet knobs. There is also a filter display section like a graphical equalizer to add filter presets and control them manually.
Let us see all of them one by one.
Delay knob: There are 2 knobs inside the delay knob. The concentric knob in the middle is used to control the delay, while the inner knob handles the delay tail length in milliseconds. There is also an outer ring that controls the left/right delay pan.
Feedback: The Feedback/Pan knob lets you control the total delay feedback, where the feedback can be panned. The MIX allows you to set the crossover amount in the mix.
Wet/Dry knob: This knob allows you to control the amount of delay in the mix. You will also get the WIDTH control which lets you add stereo width in the mix. The mix control allows you to control the amount of mixed-signal.
Filter display: Filter display has a graphical layout that lets you create up to 6 filters with high/low shelf, high/low/bandpass, bell, or notch, with slopes that can be adjusted between -6dB and -48dB/octave.
Modulation Controls Section
The modulation section is a carbon copy of the Fabfilter Saturn saturation plugin. If you don’t know about Saturn, then read my review on it.
You will get XY bar and pad, LFO, Envelope Follower, Envelope Generator, and MIDI source control in the modulation section. You can sync all of them with any parameter for infinite control and modulation options.
As with all other Fabfilter plugins, you will get superb quality. I have tested this delay in my studio and seen it’s infinite possibilities.
With Fabfilter Timeless 3 you can play with your creativity, and when it comes to its synchronization with your creativity, the sky is the limit.
Significantly, the effects and delay display section put this plugin ahead of other same range delay plugins. The 5 effect controls, i.e., Drive saturation, Lo-Fi distortion, Diffuse control, Dynamics gate/comp, and Pitch shifter, add some extra benefit to this.
I loved its vintage-sounding delay effect that adds some distortion to the signal makes the audio closer to the analog sound.
Value for Money
If we compare timeless 3 with other delay plugins as per the price, then it’s costly the others. However, the features and the analog taste you get in this plugin would not disappoint you.
For a fully professional audio plugin, paying $129.00 is not a bad deal.
However, I think if the price would be under $100 it would be great for beginners.
Also, Fabfilter is providing 30 days trial that helps you decide if you want to purchase or not.
My Verdict about FabFilter Timeless 3
I always try to review a product with my best. When I reviewed the Timeless 3 delay plugin, I got that it’s not an ordinary delay.
There are many new features added in this delay plugin that helps you to transform your project into a professional studio mix. Timeless delay plugin is a top row delay plugin in the world. The quality it provides it provides is extraordinary.
However, it’s not a lightweight plugin so you need a fast computer to operate.
I give 8/10 to this delay plugin.
Well, I am waiting for your opinion so don’t forget to comment below and do share this Fabfilter Timeless review on social media to help others find a good delay VST plugin.
You may also like,